Manager Policy and Capability BuildingFull-time Permanent City of Melbourne posted 7 months ago
- Leadership opportunity
- $133,471 plus 10% Superannuation
We are the City of Melbourne, a City of possibility and place to be bold and inspirational.
We are rapidly transforming to meet the evolving challenges faced by a global city. With a vision of being a leading organisation for a leading capital city, our mission is to create positive impact for our community. Each day, we work with passion and purpose so that together we achieve incredible things.
Together we Make the Difference
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
The Manager Policy and Capability Building is a member of the Community Development Branch Leadership Team.
The City of Melbourne has a new Community Development Branch that is responsible for embedding community development principles and practice across the organisation. Our vision is to enable a just, inclusive and sustainable society where communities are empowered to meaningfully engage, participate and shape their own city. We are taking a place-based approach to how we understand and work with and for our communities, and look to create more value for community through our everyday work as we drive an inclusive and sustainable long-term recovery from Covid-19.
The Policy and Capability Building Team works to build the capacity and capability of CoM staff and the community. The team utilise internal levers and those of our partners and stakeholders to develop and deliver programs that lead to a more empowered community with increased agency based on community development principles and practice. The team are also responsible for the development and delivery of policy that aims to progress inclusion across the City of Melbourne and in community.
The Manager Policy and Capability Building will lead a newly formed team of 8 staff members. Key priorities for the role will include:
- Building a positive culture and high-performing team that is valued across the organisation for its strong contribution and constructive ways of working
- Leadership and delivery of three Council Plan Major Initiatives including the Inclusive Melbourne Strategy 2022-2032, Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2020-2024 and the Women’s Safety and Empowerment Action Plan 2022-2025.
- Delivery of key projects that build capability within the community including working in partnership with other Branches at the City of Melbourne on social procurement, inclusive employment, community grants programs and volunteering.
- Increasing skills and confidence of City of Melbourne staff to engage with community through creative and experiential capability building projects and initiatives.
The role requires a strategic leader who is comfortable working across diverse priorities and able to bring together a newly formed team of new and existing staff members and establish a culture of curiosity, collaboration and achievement. It involves figuring out how the strategy and priorities for the team can be translated into practical and tangible plans and pilots to test, iterate and achieve intended outcomes.
Operating in a fast-paced and reactive environment, the position will be required to work at pace and have exceptional prioritisation and problem-solving skills.
What you will bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence.
- Demonstrated experience and/or understanding of the public sector, community development, inclusion and access, community engagement, social value creation or other similar discipline.
- Leadership: Builds commitment by demonstrating personal conviction; translates organisational strategy into meaningful long-term plans and objectives; motivates and inspires others to deliver against goals. Shows leadership well beyond their immediate team.
- Strong stakeholder management and relationship building skills: high-level communication, negotiation and persuasion skills, with the ability to use discretion and judgement.
- Proven experience in effectively managing complex projects within a highly reactive and complex environment and ability to take initiative and drive change (demonstrating strong strategic and analytical skills)
- High level written skills including report writing skills
By joining us, you will become part of a remarkable team who work in a constructive and inclusive culture to shape the future of this city. Together, we champion difference, celebrate achievement and recognise positive impact.
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
It is a mandatory requirement of the City Of Melbourne for all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a cover letter of no more than two pages, which responds to the following application questions:
- What excites you about the possibility of joining our team and taking on this role?
- What can you bring to this role that will help you and your team succeed?
- What is the best team culture that you’ve worked with in the past and how did you contribute to that?
Please address your covering letter to Rushda Halith, Director Community Development
For any queries about the role, please send them via email to Rushda Halith: [email protected].
Applications will be accepted up until 11:45pm, Monday 14th March 2022
City of Melbourne is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity. Our commitment is for our people to be safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from people regardless of their gender identity and expression, ethnicity, cultural background, sexual orientation, disability and age. We look for the right values, skills and knowledge to build our capabilities so that we can best deliver for our community.